Thursday, May 15, 2014

Japanese traditional culture Syoubu yu 菖蒲湯 (しょうぶゆ)

May 5th is the Children's day.
Traditionally, we eat Kashiwa mochi at that day.
I could buy this Kashiwa mochi at a supermarket.

It is sticky stuff, but it's sweet. You can't eat the leaf.

And at the Children's day, we take a bath in shoubu.
Shoubu is translated, "a Japanese iris".
Here is the shoubu. I bought this at the supermarket near my house.
  It is said that we do this so the children grow up healthily.

But, this shoubu doesn't have any smell.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting custom - I am wondering if all Japanese follow this tradition? Is it well known and kept alive, or are people starting to forget it?

I am wondering, because in Bulgaria we also have a lot of days where we celebrate small customs, but many people are now unaware of them.

But you seem very familiar with all customs in Japan - I think its rare, but admirable.

Thanks for telling us about this tradition!

marimari said...

Shantal ForSD

Probably, young people don't
know many Japanese traditional
cultures. These days,nuclear
family increased so much. So
young people don't have a lot of chances to hear about Japnaese old traditional cultures.
In my case, fortunately, my wife was spending a lot of time
with her grandfather and grandmother in her child hood. So
as for the Shoubu yu, I heard this culture from my wife.
Honestly, I don't know about Japanese traditional culture so much. I am posting these articles, hearing or reserching from Internet or books and so on.
But it is a good opportunity to get in touch such Japanese cultures.

marimari said...

not "get in touch"
but "get in touch with" maybe...
^^;