Sunday, October 19, 2014

Japanese expression Osewa ni narimashita

  I would like to introduce an phrase.

That's "Osewa ni natteorimasu""Osewa ni narimashita.""Osewa sama desu".

We often use these expression on business.

  Whenever I get a phone at office, I would say this phrase.

Osewa means "take care of".(Probably)

The phrases above means like "Thank you for taking care of me (us) everyday.".

We say these phrase even we do not know the customer or the client well.

We also say these phrases not only when we speak on the phone

but when we face people.

  I think this custom tells Japanese people's way of thinking.

We are taught in the society that we can not live without other people's help.

When I use these phrases in our daily life, I do not think of the meaning deeply.

However, these phrases may have deep meanings in a background.

Thanks for reading!!

4 comments:

htsfb said...

Nice post! I think this is very interesting too.Once you get used to it, it becomes very natural to use it, and then I find it is hard because you begin to want to use it in English too. Then it is hard to translate!

marimari said...

To htsfb

Thanks for your comment!

Some words are hard to translate.

It's because of the difference

of culture. Please keep reading!

Unknown said...

Some time ago, we were expecting a Japanese visitor here at the office and I asked my Japanese friend what is a good way to say "welcome" in Japanese.

Surprisingly for me, she came up with the phrase:

"osewa ni natte imasu."

this was my first time to hear this and I was surprised how different the Japanese thinking is from European.

I think it is nice, even if people don't think too much about the meaning each time they say it.

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Yes, I think this phrases
(including osewa ni natte imasu)
have Japanese cultural background.
Therefore, I think it's impossible
to translate the meaning in English. This phrases are
understood only between Japanese.

I guese you will feel excited
if you understand Japanese way of thinking.