Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Japanese Education ~8~ school rule

  I guess there are many kinds of school rules in Japanese school.
Some children want to dress up themselves.
  I have seen children wearing pierced earrings. But usually, Japanese
school don't allow them to do so. And school don't allow to dye
their hair. If the length of skirt is too long or short, she would be
told not to do so.
  And at the junior high school near my workplace, students
go to school with school uniform. I guess school don't allow to
wear their plivate clothes in school. 
  I guess Japanese school focus on training students so that
they obey the rules of group rather than respecting for each
student's character. I guess there is difference between
other cultures in this sense. 
  I used to think these Japanese school tradition is old stylish.
But I am thinking they are worth of keeping the tradition.
The high awareness of respecting for group's rules has
a good aspect in various social scenes , maybe.

4 comments:

Nvaier said...

I still remember when my highschool tried forcing school uniforms on us. The students were strongly against it(to the point when we argued with the teachers) so in the end the idea was abandoned. Poland is very different in that aspect. We, as individuals, want as much personal freedom as possible. It's not always a good thing though.

Unknown said...

I was thinking in the same lines - back in the time right after communistic time, our school tried to implement it - students were against (could be that the uniforms were just ugly). We also wanted to get away from the uniform look that we had when it was communistic time - back then we did have uniforms and we all looked the same.

Parents were actually for it. The fact that the older generation had different view on belonging to the group is one thing. But actually, when I listented to my mother talk to other parents, they mentioned more economical reasons - first off, the uniforms were cheaper. Second: if there were no uniforms, the rich kids would be dressed in expensive cloths, that the poor would also want - but can't afford. So, in a way, uniforms are eliminating the visible demonstration of who is rich and who is poor.

marimari said...

Nvaier

Sorry for late respond.
Yes, I believe that's because of
cultural differences between
Poland.
Our culture strongly focus on
the other people's interests.

marimari said...

Shantal ForSD

Actually, there is a opinion.
You don't need to think about
which clothes you wear every
mornings.
Our culture may allow people
to equalize people.