Sunday, November 16, 2014

Japanese food Hoshigaki (dried persimmons)

In this season, persimmons are delicious.

  There are two types of persimmons, a sweet persimmon and a sour persimmon.
 We usually eat the sweet persimmon for dessert.
  I have eaten the sour persimmon. It was not good taste.
  I had something uncomfortable in the mouth.

  We also eat the dried persimmon.
  They are so sweet. And they are expensive if you buy at the supermarket.
However, you can make the dried persimmons in your house like below.
 

  Interestingly, the sweet, dried persimmons are not made of the sweet persimmons.
The dried persimmons are made of the sour persimmons.
  The dried persimmons on the photo will be ready in about one week.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hello! It's lovely seeing something written about Hoshigaki! I've had it once before and it's a taste I would never forget.

I'll be travelling to Japan this winter (early January); do you know if Hoshigaki will be in season then? Also, are there wide regional differences between Hoshigaki? In the past, I tried Hoshigaki from the Fukushima prefecture, and absolutely loved it. This time, I will not be going to that region, but I know the Hida region produces Hoshigaki as well, but don't know if they are just as good.

marimari said...

Hello, Jen.
Thank you for your comment.
We can eat persimmons in fall. It takes a few month to make
dried persimmons. So, we usually eat dried persimmons in late fall
and winter.
When I was kid, I don't really like it. But now, I eat it.
Dried persimmons are sweet, and nutritious.
I guess you can eat Hoshigaki most of the place in Japan.
(I am not sure if you can eat in the hot area such as Okinawa.)

Have a nice trip!