Monday, September 23, 2013

Japanese traditional culture ~35~ seats at the wedding

  Now I have started to decide the seats of my wedding reception.
This work is not easy though.
  In Japan culture, there is a seat, called Kamiza.
It is a seat of honor. Probably, there is this kind of seat in other culture.
At the wedding reception, the seat of honor is the one which is the closest
in the room.

  The paper is upside down!! ^ ^;  I couldn't attach well.
The wedding planer explained well. This paper shows the order of seats.
There is a main table(メインテーブル) below.
  And you have to take care of how to write each person's title, such as
"groom's friend", "groom's co-worker""The president of a company"....
Usually, we need to write those titles on a seat and provide it for the guests.

I heard of a interesting story.
  It is occasionally happen the groom invites his co-worker
after he quit a company. And if the guest was the elder and senior person,
it is hard to decide his title. It is hard to write "groom's friend".
Because, if the guest is so old(50~60 years old),
writing "groom's friend"seems to be disrespectful in Japanese culture.

 If the groom was still working at the same workplace, his title could be
written as "Duryou 同僚"which means "co worker".
 But the groom had already quit his company, he would not be able to
write in that way.

 Anyway, in my case, I would not have so many troubles when I write guest's
titles.
  I have to finish this work by 13th October.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing how complicated it is just to seat people at your wedding! I think that it is an extra complication that you have to know all the people well, in order to find a seat for them.

In my case, I did not know some of the people from the groom's side - some of them I actually met at the wedding, so such precise placement would be very hard to make.
On my wedding it was like this: here are two long tables, please find an empty seat :)

It is also typical in BG weddings that the guests often move during the many hours a wedding takes. They just take their glass and move to another place, just to talk to somebody, then move on to somebody else :)

marimari said...

Shantal ForSD

I see. At the reception party,
which will be held at the beginning,
the guests drink beer or juice
on a garden. So they would move around.
In Japanese style, the guests are
given their seats. They just sit and
enjoy the time.