Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Japanese expression ~8~ issyou benkyou 一生勉強

Benkyou(勉強) means "studying".
  I have heard that in English, people use the word "study" when 
children or students learn at school.
  But in Japanese, people use this word "benkyou(=studying)"
whenever you learn something in our daily life. 
  We use this word when you experience something important 
for your life. If the person is eager to learn something, old man or
woman would use this word.

  Many Japanese people think he or she is immature
even if he or she becomes adult.
  It means, we need to keep learning something as long as we live.
When you praise Japanese people, people would usually try to become
modest. Maybe this behavior comes from the idea that
he or she is still immature.
  

  There is a word "life long learning".
  In Japanese, we say 生涯学習(しょうがいがくしゅう)
生涯しょうがい=life long
学習がくしゅう=learning
 I play the piano for fun. I would like to keep studying music all my life
 And also I would like to write stories all my life.
 I sometimes hear people say「 一生勉強だよ」
"We need to study all our life." I think this attitude is very important
if you want to have a good life! 

  Well, a few days ago, I showed my work (A white cat)
I attached on this blog, to a person who won a prize at local competition 
on children's story. And he corrected some parts. I will check it out
from now...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

:)
I tried a little experiment in Google translate:


生涯学習 comes back as "Lifelong learning", but

しょうがいがくしゅう is translated as "Learning disorder"

:)

Um, lifelong learning is the only thing we can do, isn't it? We must keep learning and improving. But I, personaly, have never learned how to deal with the fragileness of knowledge. It is stunning when a powerful and extremely smart person dies - one minute you have this life-long gathered unique set of knowledge there in front of you, and the next minute it is gone for ever....

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

"Learning disorder"
I see. I found the translation of
"Lifelong learning" on Internet.
The fragileness of knowledge...
I am thinking, knowledge(learning something) is not for myself,
but for the other people.
If give your knowledge to the other
person, you would be appreciated by the
person. And you may not feel vain to
learn.
...But I don't know how to answer this
theme.

Unknown said...

I absolutely agree - knowledge is so precious and it must be used to help and improve and ultimately given further down the generations. That is why I feel such a huge waste when somebody dies - because each person has unique knowledge, parts of which nobody else has.