Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Japanese lifestyle ~46~ English education in Japan

  As an English teacher at cram school, I think Japanese English education
doesn't catch up this modern age. Now people go abroad easily and have
many opportunities to communicate with people who have various cultural
background.
  In my impression, when I went to Germany two years ago, I saw many people
speaking English. Why is that???
  And I guess people in Europe can speak English much better than Japanese
people.
  One of the biggest reason is that we do not have the chance to practice
to speak English in our daily life.  At English class in Japan, we still focus on
reading skill and writing skill. There is a pity story here.
There was a English teacher when I was in high school. The teacher graduated
the best university, Tokyo university. I heard that he had tons of knowledge of
English vocabulary. But he could not speak English. I heard that foreign people couldn't
understand his English... I don't know if it's true. It was a legend in my school days.
  I guess there are a lot of teachers who can teach grammar but can't speak English.

  Fortunately, I can speak English now without big difficulties. But if I had not had
chances to practice in foreign countries since before, I would not have been
 able to speak English like now.
  I would like to teach speaking skill as much as possible at my class. But
unfortunately, teacher at cram school are told to teach children so that children
get the good result on  paper tests. And the tests have a lot of questionnaires
on vocabulary and grammar.

  Maybe, we can gain writing skill and reading skill in our English classes in Japan.
Actually, English teachers used to say OK about writing skill.


There are many obstacles.
1
  We have to learn Alphabet when we start to learn English.
Around 12 years old children start to learn Alphabet. Usually, they can't write
words correctly at all.
2
  Japanese people are shy. There are many people who are not good at talking
with unknown people.
3
  Teachers who can teach speaking skill are a few.
4
  We don't have the chance to practice English in our daily life.
My hometown,Gunma prefecture is country side. I don't see
people who are from countries spoken English.
  So far, people don't need to speak English in our daily life.
5
 I have ever read a book about English education. When Japan used to
develop the country 50 years ago, government wanted to increase
people who can read documents to learn from other countries.
The education style has still been remained.
6
 I read an article on Internet.
The bureaucracy who decide the policy on English education can't speak English...
I don't know if it's true. But it's possible...




11 comments:

Unknown said...

I find this subject to be very interesting - I have also wondered a lot about this. I can't help it but compare how I used to learn a language to what you write. I've noticed several rather big differences.

The obvious fact that you don't have some sounds in Japanese, like "l" can be a technicality. Words that combine r and l seem to be hard for a Japanese (like really, squirrel, relinguish).

Then there is the embarrassment factor - it goes without saying that people that learn new language will embarrass themselvs - we make mistakes all the time. Nobody likes to be embarrassed, but I have noticed that Japanese people seem to be extra sensitive on the embarrassement subject (they don't like to be embarrassed and they don't like to embarrass others). So, that can be a reason why they don't search actively a conversation in a foreign language?

Another thing that I have noticed is that you guys have everything translated in Japanese. All kinds of technical and professional literature is in Japanese - in contrast, when I was studying in the University in Bulgaria, I had to study from English books or from Internet (Again sites in English) - nothing from the technical literature was translated in Bulgarian. So, the fact that we are forced to go beyond our own language in order to study and learn more is just pushing us Again into ather languages.

Another Little detail is that we are encouraged to meet other cultures. For example, in school, we had a "system" where the school would pair up with another school from another country. Then the kids would write letters and send them to the other school. With time, each child would have a randomly met friend from the other country - I remember that I kept in touch with my friend for like 15 years - and we were forced to write in their language, because whey did not speak Bulgarian.
Later in the university, there were student Exchange programs - I've studied in an London university because of such program. In such case Again we need to learn the language, in order to study and pass the exams in London.

But really, the most efficient way is to seek actively conversation in English. I have a couple of Japanese friends that want to improve their English, so we have regular "sessions" where we talk over Skype.

Uh, sorry, I wrote so much.. thank you for the interesting subject though :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Please don't mind your long message.
I like to read various ideas.

You said "they don't like to embarrass others". This is interesting point.
I think most of Japanese people need to
speak to other countries people.
They are nervous of disturbing someone.
But this attitude is also good point
of Japanese people. This is one of the "Kikubari".

Maybe the situation to be forced is
one of the factors when you improve
language skill.

The system you mentioned is very very
interesting to me.
Under the system, you had to communicate with children in English,
right?

Do you think Skype is good way?
For me, I sometimes feel it is too
slow to communicate.

Do you think more than 50% of Bulgarian can do daily conversation
in English?

Saku said...

It's the same for Germany again. (I think Germany and Bulgaria are quite similar; great to learn about other countries here, too *haha*)
But I didn't do the exchange program, because I was afraid to go anywhere for 1 year without my parents when I was a teenager. Now I wish I had done it... ^^;

I also think it is an urgent question in Japan. Of course it's difficult to practice English speaking skills.
Maybe you can let the students read a text loud for speaking practice? And also give some listening practice? (From CDs or Movies, etc) We did a looooot of this stuff when I was at school. And we still had many writing tests anyway. We didn't do many tests for listening and speaking.

Unknown said...

Hej again,

The system of writing to a friend from another country was with Russian kids - back then Bulgaria had very close diplomatic relations with Russia, due to the communistic thing ... so we wrote in Russian.

I find skype (and LINE) to be great ways to improve language. For starters, it is usually written chat, because people have more time to think and in the beginning they are more shy, because they don't know that well each other. Then later on, talking on skype is good for practicing listening and spoken skills.

The only disadvantage that I feel is the need for "coordination" - we usually need to agree in advance when we'll talk, due to the time difference - Japan is 7 or 8 hours ahead of DK, so usually one of us is awake late at night in order to talk to the other one.

I am sure your students can easily find somebody to talk to if they want - I would never refuse such language exchange, and I believe there are many others that feel the same way.

Unknown said...

Saku: yes, I have also noticed a lot of commonalities between Germany and BG - strange enough. Even stranger - I think BG culture is closer to German, then to Danish - I really can't explain that. But I always read with interest what you say here and often I am wondering if you are really from Doichland or from BG :)

marimari said...

To Saku

Oh, do you know how come it's similar?
We practice to read aloud. And we
listen to CD. But from your comment,
I think we should spend time for those
training more.
To test Speaking skill is hard.
It is hard to judge equally. *_*;


marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Oh, I see.
Skype is one of the ways for
chance to practice other language.
And I want ask one more thing.
Do you think junior high school
children want to do that in Europe?

Maybe children should talk with
children.

Unknown said...

Agreed - it will be best for them to talk to somebody their own age.

Kids here (junior hight school - high school) are all studying English here (they start in 2nd grade - about 7-8 years old).
I believe that there would be many kids that would want to give it a try.

I am in doubt how convenient it will be - if they are to talk to a kid in Japan at 10 am (JP time) that Means they should be up at 3-4am here in DK, but its a matter of coordinating, really.

Then there is the matter of choice of country - may be it is best to choose country where they have English as first language - just to avoid picking up mistakes and accent?

If this idea goes further, and you need more information, I can talk to teachers in a local school here and see what they say about this. All schools here have intranet and messages like this can be distributed to all kids in particular group very easily. So, let me know if you need practical information on this :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

The trial must be exciting.
And I appreciate for your proposal.
Maybe if I start that, I need to
company with students and instruct
chatting.
I think this trial is advanced way
to learn English. I have never experienced
when I was in school.
When I have a chance, I will ask
students.
Thank you!!

way2 college said...

NICE BLOG!!! Education is the process of bringing desirable change into the behavior of human beings. It can also be defined as the “Process of imparting or acquiring knowledge or habits through instruction or study”. Thanks for sharing a nice information..
Top MBA Colleges in Bangalore
MBA colleges in Bangalore

marimari said...

To way2 college

Thank you!!!
Yes, indeed.
Learning is to broaden your point of view.