Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Japanese saying ~11 ~ し shi

したしき なかにも れいぎ あり (親しき仲にも礼儀あり)
Courtesy should not be forgotten even between close friends.

  I like this saying. From my experience, relationship would get worse
If you are too familiar with your friends. Maybe it is same in other cultures.
I think keeping the appropriate distance between persons is very important
for good relationship.
  In Japan, we have three kind of an honorific expressions called Keigo敬語(けいご)
A term of respect for the person is sometimes confusing for people to use
appropriately. But, it is useful to keep appropriate distance between person.
If you keep using Keigo, you can show your respect for the person.
That prevents from becoming  too familiar with the person.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a thin line between keeping a polite distance and looking like a snob. Human behaviour can be interpreted in so many different ways. In general, I tend to keep my distance, because I also believe that we should show respect to all, but it is often interpreted as snobby behaviour. So, all seem to come down to finding friends among people that "get you" :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

I think communication by e-mail
is sometimes difficult to behave
appropriately. Maybe we need to
take care if you talk with someone
who have never met you.