Saturday, April 6, 2013

Japanese habit/custom ~45~ Hitsujun筆順(ひつじゅん) the stroke order of Chinese characters, Kanji

 You may have ever seen Japanese Kanji. Do you know you have to
keep the stroke order of Chinese characters, Kanji when you write it?
When we were in school, we learn the stroke orde of each Kanji at the
Japanese class.
  For example...
This Kanji means "run" 「走る」
You have to write this Kanji like below.

  The basic rule is...
 "from left to right" "from up to down"
But maybe there are some variation. I learned this stroke order of Kanji
when I was kid. Now I don't need to care which way I should write.
But if you are Japanese learner, you don't have to be too nervous.
Even Japanese people don't know the right way sometimes.
And I may remember some of Kanji in the wrong way.   
 As I introduced here, Japanese people respect the order.(For example,
people make a line at the restaurant or at the plat form to wait a train)
I am wondering that this culture(the stroke order of Chinese characters, Kanji)
reflects the Japanese people's lifestyle(the order should be respected).
  And one more thing.
  Japanese people learn the stroke order of Alphabet when we start to 
learn English.
  For example

 We learn "M" and "w" should be written like above.
But I heard that there is no strict rule like Japanese Kanji.
Is that true!?
  I heard that Japanese children get confused if there is no strict rule
of the stroke order of character. They are accustomed to writing
a letter under the strict rule from the experience of writing Kanji.
So someone decided this stroke order
of Alphabet for a long time ago.
 I think it's interesting story.

Thanks for reading!
Facebook page

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a very helpful blog for me - I am often confused what is the correct order to write a kanji.
I think the logic of many foreigners is: "if the kanji looks like it should, what difference does it make what order the strokes were written in?"

In Bulgarian, we can write our letters "typewriter" style or "handwriting" style and while there are no strict rules what to write first, still the kids spend long hours exercising only part of the different letters, before they start writing whole letters.

Saku said...

It is the same for us in Germany (as in Shantal's post).
Everyone can write as he/she wants.. haha
For example, I write M with one stroke, begining from left bottom ^^

marimari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marimari said...

To Saku

I see.
I understood Germany does not have
the strict rule on the order
when you write a letter.

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Oh, I see.
If you want to know the right order,
you need to buy Japanese book for
practicing kanji.
I guess Japanese learners get confused
to learn the order.