Sunday, May 12, 2013

Japanese traditional culture ~20~ 千羽鶴せんばづる(senba zuru)

  About one month ago, we could see cherry blossoms on this street.
I  took some pictures here and uploaded on this blog.



This is the arcade street of Maebashi city. 
There is a tombstone along this river.

There used to be an air-raid shelter at this point. During the World War 2, this Maebashi city had a big air-raid. It is said that 535 people who were in the shelter died. This is the monument.
  
These ORIGAMI is called senba zuru. (thousand crane)
  I think people made this senbazuru in the hope of peaceful world. 
I did not know about this monument until recently.

  Maybe I don't really know about the history of our prefecture.
Today, I talked with my friend. Japanese people have worked so much
to make our living. And people  made light of telling our history to younger
generation.

  Young people need to learn the history on our own initiative.
Well, do you know about the history of your district where you are living?
In my case, I did not have any chances to hear the history of my
hometown because my grandfather and grandmother had already died when
I was kid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In Bulgaria we have this tradition to live many generations under the same roof. This Means that the kids get the chance to spend a lot of time with the elders - often not just grandparents but also grand-grand parents (as in my case). I have heard really a lot of stories about the past of the place where I come from. To be honest, now I regret that I did not write them down back then.

Children seem to have a more curios and open mind, so they are good recipients of such stories. Adults are too busy and self-absorbed and ignore the past and the elders. Pitty.

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Do you mean the kids live with
older people who are not their
relatives for a while?
I am thinking, I make a story
related to this monument.
I heard there is one old person
who knows well about this incident.