Saturday, January 26, 2013

Japanese expression ~8~ Irassyaimase

  Maybe it is hard for foreign people to pronounce "Irassyaimase".
When you go to Japanese restaurant, store, or supermarket, the staff
will say "Irassyaimase!"
  I have never heard of this kind of phrase in the other countries.
So, I guess there is no translation of this phrase. You would not know the
meaning of this phrase.
  If I translate this phrase, "Thanks for coming to our shop(or restaurant)".
or "Welcome to our shop". It is hard to translate directly.
  This is kind of greeting when staffs welcome to the customers. And
it sounds polite for Japanese people.
  You should not say this phrase when you welcome your friends to your
home. I think I hear this phrase at business scene.
  When you go to Japanese restaurant in your country, the staffs may
say this phrase.

Thanks for reading!
Facebook page

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you supposed to answer in some way when you are greeted in this way? I saw a video once in a convenience store and stuff there was saying this every time a customer walked trough the door, but my observation was that the customers did not respond at all to this. In fact they treated it like a background noise and ignored this politeness alltogether.

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Usually, customers don't say anything.
If the customer is polite, they would bow just a little bit.
I have funny story.
A man who is first experience in Japan,
answered "Irassyaimase" to the shop keeper. It looks so strange for Japanese people.