Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Japanese traditional culture ~15~ Hatsu yume

  What did you see a  dream at the beginning of the year?
In Japan, we have a tradition about the dream you see at the beginning of the
year. People foresee the luck of the year from the dream.
  There is a word.
"Ichi(1) Fuji
  Ni(2) Taka
  San(3) Nasubi"
For Japanese, this phrase sounds rhythmical.
The first is Mt. Fuji. It is the best one.
The second is Taka. Taka is a hawk.
The third is an eggplant.
 It is interesting that the eggplant comes thirdly. It seems to be wired.
I looked up the origin of this phrase. There may be various views.
I introduce one of them.
It is the phrase that say the feature of Shizuoka prefecture.
Shizuoka is located in the west of Tokyo. You can see Mt. Fuji there.
 Do you have this kind of tradition in your culture?

4 comments:

Saku said...

We don't have this tradition in Germany - at least I don't know of any... AND I can't remember my dream! (>_<) XD

marimari said...

We just ask to a person what was your first dream at the beginning of the year. It is one of the topics in our daily conversation.

Unknown said...

This exaplains the many pictures of sunrise over Fuji-san that I have been seeing around new year :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

I think Japanese people have an idea. Mt. Fuji is No.1.