Friday, January 11, 2013

Japanese traditional culture ~17~ karuta

I introduce a Japanese plaything, called "karuta".
Do you know "hiragana"?
Hiragana is one of the Japanese characters. There are 50 kinds of hiragana.
Some of you would know あいうえお...
Traditionally, we have a plaything that uses the hiragana.
The name is "karuta". Here is the photo.
I explain how to play it.
There are 50 kinds of cards that have picture and hiragana.
And there are 50 kinds of cards that is written a sentence on it.
Someone read aloud the sentence.
And the players find the card someone read as quickly as possible.
Players have to listen carefully what was the first hiragana of the sentence.
You repeat this until players take the all cards.
The winner is the person who got a lot of cards.
The sentence depends on the kind of karuta.
A Japanese saying is written on this karuta.
いしのうえにもさんねん means, "you have to stand something at least
three years to achieve it".
Cold stone would get warmer if you sit down on it for three years.
In this sentence, getting warmer the stone means you "achieve something"

Thanks for reading!
Facebook page

6 comments:

Saku said...

Ooh, I wished I could play this game and understand everything XD
I love Japanese sayings, but I wouldn't understand them, even if I can read hiragana... haha

marimari said...

I am thinking that I introduce Japanese saying on this blog.
You may find some similarities between German sayings.

Anonymous said...

It is very good to practice reading;) I use a similar game with my French students and they love it!

Canadian woman

marimari said...

To Anonymous

Yes. This card may be nice for
Japanese learners.

I think enjoyment is important when
you learn something.

Amatista said...

I was seeing the anime Chihayafuyu so now I understand how to play it.

marimari said...

To Amatista

You mean, you saw karuta on that program?