Monday, January 14, 2013

Japanese lifestyle ~25~ Seijin shiki

  Today is the national holiday. It is a coming-of-age celebration.
Seijin means "becoming adult" Shiki means "a ceremony".
A lot of young people who became 20 years old get together at city hall
and celebrate this day.

  I wrote that Japanese people don't have many chances to were kimono nowadays.
This is special day.So most of woman wear kimono at the ceremony.

  By the way, it is also true that there are a lot of rude young people.
They speak loudly during the ceremony. ^^;
Sometimes, the situation is broadcasted on TV.
And newscaster blame for their attitude.

  Today' news paper reports on the coming-of-age celebration at Fukushima.
One of the city that had the tragedy at 3.11,2011, called Rikuzentakata city
had the young victims of earthquake. The news paper says, there were 277
young people who would be 20 years old today. But, unfortunately, 11 young
people died of the disaster. I feel sorry about that. I sometimes hear that
a person who is much younger than me dies because of some reasons.
 
  When I was 20 years old, I could not join this ceremony because
I was in Canada for studying.

Thanks for reading!

Facebook page

2 comments:

Saku said...

In Germany there isn't such a day. But I like this tradition. I think the people who become 20 years old can be more aware of becoming an adult. ^^
By the way: In Germany people turn "adult" at the age of 18.

I also feel bad about hearing this things about Fukushima... It's very bad what happend back then...

Unknown said...

reminds me of shichi-go-san 七五三 a little bit - again celebrating some kind of passage. I think its lovely tradition - thanks for writing about it.