Thursday, January 31, 2013

Japanese habit/custom ~26~ Daruma

Now, it is  the season of examination.
School children have examination to enter high school or university.
Some of students have examination to enter junior high school.
I introduce a "daruma" that is related to entrance examination.
You see 合格(goukaku) below of this ornament.
It means "pass the examination"
Do you see 大願成就(taigann jyouju). It means big dream would come true.
taigann jyouju is kind of difficult word. We seldom use this word in our daily life.
  When you prepare for the test, you just paint black on one eye.
And after you passed exam, you paint the other side of eye.
  When I was in junior high school, I used to use this daruma.
Fortunately, I passed the exam to enter high school.
  We often see red color daruma. I think red daruma is more common in Japan.
I guess this white color daruma is used for examination.
  And people use daruma at election. If the candidate is elected to the Diet,
he or she paint the eye of daruma. We sometimes see the scene on TV.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, this is a very cool post, thank you!
My curiosity got awakened again and that triggered some extensive research on the subject .)
From the pictures, I thought that the figure is made of porcelain, but after I read about it, it turns out that its made of papier-mâché? And at the end of the year, they are all gathered at the temple and burned? Do you burn only the "successful" once or also the daruma that "failed" to make the wish come true?
I find this ritual very peculiar, thank you for sharing!

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Japanese people also have same question as you. I need to look up. Please wait a bit.