Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Japanese food ~19~ Umi budou

  I got a souvenir. My father went a trip in Okinawa.
Do you know Okinawa? It is the small island which is located in
the south of Japan. Okinawa has individual history and characteristic
culture. Okinawa was occupied by U.S.A until  1972.
  Okinawa culture is little bit different from the main land of Japan.
For example, food, building, language, art, clothing, are different. I heard that
people can speak both of the standard language and dialect.
And the last name of Okinawan sound different.
  Okinawa culture has individual characteristic.  I would like to go to
Okinawa some day.

 This is called Umi budou.
Umi = sea
Budou= grape
This is a kind of seaweed. But it looks like grape. So, this seaweed is named Umibudou.
Taste was....OK...not bad. ^ ^ ;
I just eat because it's healthy. The average of life expectancy of Okinawan is so long.
People eat a lot of seaweed. So, I guess the life expectancy is so long.

This is wine, which is made from a pineapple.
I have never had such wine before. This taste like pineapple juice.

Thanks for reading!

Facebook page





5 comments:

Saku said...

Okay... Umi budou looks a little bit strange... I guess I wouldn't eat it.. ^^;
I also never heard of pineapple wine! This would be worth a try indeed. haha

marimari said...

Umi budou tastes nice while it is
fresh.
I think you would like pineapple wine.

Unknown said...

Umibudo (Caulerpa lentillifera, Seagrapes) as a special seaweed, it is very high nutrition. It’s very good for health, used as salad and also can combine with sushi. Seagrapes also used as natural comestic, very good for skin.
In Vietnam, we have ararosip farm, we have fresh seagrapes, salted seagrapes, dried seagrapes even seagrape powder.
If any comments about seagrapes, please do not hesitate to contact via: thuyhuynh2210@gmail.com or Number: +84-902860478 for more details.

Yours sincerely!
Nancy

marimari said...

Thuy Huynh

I didn't know that people eat
seagrapes in Vietnam.
Thank you for sharing that.
I don't know if the taste
is same as Japanese ones.

Unknown said...

Dear Marimari,
Vietnamese seagrapes taste same Japanese umibudo. We can eat with mayonaise, mustard, soy sauce, chili sauce or combining with some ready foods. Delicious crispy and better if we put seagrapes into break ice water bowl after seagrapes ready refresh.