Monday, December 31, 2012

Japanese traditional culture ~9~ Toshikoshi soba

On 31st December, Japanese people eat soba. A lot of people keep this traditional culture.
We call this soba "Toshikoshi soba".
Toshikoshi means "over the year"
Soba is one of the Japanese noodle below. Soba is buckwheat noodles.
  Soba is so long noodle. So, we eat soba, hoping we can live a long life.
When I drove outside the home today, I saw a lot of cars stopping at the
Soba restaurant. Some of you may know udon. Did you know this soba?
  In Japan, you eat soba, making a sound. It is not bad manner.


Japanese people exchange the greeting at the end of the year.
The expression is "Yoi otoshi wo! よいお年を!"
If I translate it, it's "Have a nice year!"

I started to write this blog from October. I could keep writing little by little.
This is because some of people left some comments and shared information about
the person's culture. It was so interesting for me.
Some of people gave me a mail and encourage me.
I really appreciate for these things.
Thank you for reading this blog.
Hopefully, I would like to keep writing next year as well.
Yoi otoshi wo!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please keep on writing - I believe we are many that come by every day and check out what new we can learn about Japan from you.
Thank you for all the interesting blogs up to now!

From a Bulgarian, living in Denmark: all the best wishes to you for the new Year

あけましておめでとうございます。

marimari said...

あけましておめでとうございます!
Thank you for your message.
I get motivation a lot from
your comment.

I hope I give you helpful information in case you visit to Japan or you communicate with Japanese people.

And talking with foreign people
is one of my favorite things.
I like to read comments.
I have listened to Bulgarian music.
I would like to know about your culture more.
Thank you ^^

Saku said...

From me also, thank you again for writing this blog! It's SO interesting!
I check this blog as often as I can ^_^

I hope you'll have a great and healthy year!
あけましておめでとうございます。

I didn't find a restaurant with soba yet... Hmm ^^ But I'll keep looking for it *haha*

marimari said...

あけましておめでとうございます。
ことしもよろしくおねがいします。

Saku, You left many comments.
Thank you so much.
I hope you tell me about Germany
more.

Saku said...

*haha* Yes! It's just because I was on holiday and couldn't check your blog regulary, so I left all comments at once :DD
I'll try to tell you things about Germany as much as I can (^_^)