Friday, December 28, 2012

Japanese lifestyle ~21~ Cleaning at school

I introduce school system about cleaning.
Japanese school children is in winter vacation now.
It may begin from around 21st December to on 7th January.
(I think it depends on each school.)
In Japan, school children have to clean the classroom by themselves.
I think most of the school in Japan have this activity.
I heard that school entrust cleaning task to a company in Europe or United States.
In Japan, the system is different.
When I was in a school(elementary, junior high, high school) I had to clean some
places in school after the class. Students are divided into about four groups.
And each group has to clean the each place in charge. Of course we had to
clean the dirty place such as toilet. Most of student did not like to do that.
The group clean various places by rotation. 
I heard that cleaning the classroom has the meaning of education.
Students have to clean the place on their responsibility.

Maybe most of children don't like this school activity.^^;
But I think this is good system. All children would experience the
cleaning in their childhood at least even they don't help housework
at home.


Thanks for reading!

Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeeMyJapan

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was a kid, the situation in my school was the same - all kids were assigned things that they were responsible in school (cleaning the school and the school yard, cooking, observing order) - that was back in Bulgaria, and back when BG was a communistic country. Later, all changed. Now there is just a cleaning lady and the kids do nothing. I think the system before was better. Now the kids litter and mess up everything because they don't realize what it takes to clean up the mess.

marimari said...

I see.
Do you think children needed to
clean the school for educational reason?

Unknown said...

well, if we put an equal sign between "education" and "learning" - yes, I do think that kids cleaning their own school is a good thing. Obviousely, they learn how to clean, but on top of that, they learn to appreciate and respect other's and their own labour. They also learn that things don't just happen - they have to work for what they get.

Might be just me - I am a bit old fashioned :)

marimari said...

I think that's the same thought as Japanese people.
That's interestiong.