Saturday, December 29, 2012

Japanese traditional culture ~8~ Hakoniwa

I introduce what the Hakoniwa is.
Hako = box
niwa = garden
It is a kind of miniature of garden.
A man recreate the Japanese garden or a place of scenic beauty in a box.


 This is my father's work. He used moss. He used parsley as tree. hahaha.
This hakoniwa is small. I guess the expart would make more bigger hakoniwa.
I have watched the photo of castle in hakoniwa.
  I don't know how much this hobby is common in Japan. I heard that this
hobby was very popular at the end of Edo period. It was later than 1850.
I have not seen people who do this hakoniwa as hobby.
 I guess bonsai is more popular in Japan. 

 

2 comments:

Saku said...

Wow, your father is very creative! I like this one! ^_^
It's a great hobby.
I never heard about this before :)

marimari said...

I did not know about this kind of
stuff either.
I guess it is not so popular hobby in Japan.