Friday, December 21, 2012

Japanese lifestyle ~19~ Oseibo

I have already introduced about Oseibo on this blog.
It is the season of Oseibo now in Japan. I attach the photos.
I want you to have the image. We send a gift at the ending of the year as oseibo.
  These are some mikan boxes. Mikan is a fruit that originally came from China.
I am planning to give one box of mikan to my workplace as oseibo.
And my friend presented me sweet grape in this summer. I will send him
this mikan box as return. This is okaeshi, one of the Japanese culture.
  There is 10kg of mikan in this box.

8 comments:

Paul said...

ohh my favorite fruit !
10kg: he must probably be happy !

marimari said...

Oh, have you eaten mikan???
Can you eat in France?
It is not the same as orange
in Europe.

Paul said...

no no i'm not mistaken. Mikan 蜜柑 is "Mandarine" or "Clémentine" in french (2 similar fruits... mandarine is uncommon and have seeds). It's smaller than orange and haven't the same taste at all !

Those fruits are everywhere at the end of the year. I've read in a book than in Japan, fruits are expensive, i don't know if it's true (of course it depends of the lifestyle and the cost of all the foods...) anyway it's not the case in France.

marimari said...

To Paul

Oh I see.
Don't you think the kanji
蜜柑 is so complex?
It is very difficult for
Japanese people. People usually
write it by hiragana.

Paul said...

complex ? I don't know...
in fact I know only about 600 kanjis I think, I sometimes learn new kanjis but I never wonder if they are useful ! those ones are not often used ?

marimari said...

To Paul

Many people can read 蜜柑.
But we usually write mikan by kanji.
It is difficult for most of
the people to write 蜜柑.
You know 600 kanji. Great.

. said...

Hi, i have just stumbled upon your blog today. It's very interesting.

My grandparents migrated from china long time ago so we don't stay there anymore but we still practice this.

The only difference is, we send them to friends/family/colleagues during the Lunar New Year.

Lucille.

marimari said...

To .

The origin of Japanese culture may be from Chinese culture.
But the culture changed
between two cultures.