Friday, February 15, 2013

Japanese food ~26~ 16 kokumai

I have not written about Japanese food recently.
Today, I introduce Jyuurokkokumai(十六穀米)
  Jyuuroku means 16. There are 16 kinds of grains in this bowl.
These days, people pay a lot of attentions to their health. This Jyuurokkokumai
is getting popular in Japan. People like to eat this in a house.
  It is vary easy to cook this dish. You just put packed grains in rice cooker
when you make a rice.
I can't introduce all kinds of grains here. I've got an interesting story.
In this 16 kinds of grains, there are foxtail millet and  barnyard grass.
In old times, these grains used to be eaten by lower class people such as
poor farmers. Japan used to be a hierarchical society about 300 years ago.
Nowadays, people eat these grains by paying money for their health.
  We can't predict what will happen after 300 years. ^^;
  The rice was very precious food for our father's generation in Japan.
They had no enough foods but a boiled mixture of rice and barley.
They say, it was not good taste.
  When I was kid, I used to eat a boiled mixture of rice and barley at school.
(In Japan, student are provided a lunch, called Kyuusyoku.) For me, it was
good taste. Whenever we eat a boiled mixture of rice and barley at Kyuusyoku,
we could eat curry. I like the curry.
  It is not so common to serve this Jyuurokokumai at restaurant in Japan.
But we can sometimes eat this at restaurant. If you want to try in Japan,
you had better go to supermarket and get the packed Jyuurokkokumai.




No comments: