Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Japanese habit/custom ~32~ breeding of an insect

  When I went to an elementary school, I heard that children
don't do the breeding of an insect in the other cultures. Is that true???
  In Japan, it is very popular for children to breed an insect, such as
a stag beetle, a beetle, a cricket, and so on. In Japan, children breed
an insect like a pet such as dog or cat.
  I used to breed a stag beetle. It is not easy to get a beetle.
Children learn the habits of living things of insects through breeding.
And children learn the nature.
  There is a very precious sort of a stag beetle.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Dorcushopeibinodulosus.JPG
  As you may know, in Japan, there is an otaku culture. There are various manias in Japanese
culture. This stag beetle used to be traded by very high price among mania.
There was a big boom many years ago.
 I learned that it is less than 10000 yen now nowadays. But it still costs more than 1000 yen.


5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is just so cool!
In Denmark, kids in 0 grade (5 years old) go on a hunt for a snales, bring them home and put them in terraiums for about 2 weeks - take care of them, experiment with them, then let them loose back in the forest. But thats about it.

To me insects are a mistery - never have even attempted to "reproduce" them O_o

How long does it take?

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

I guess reproducing is very difficult. So,child breeds insect until it dies.
And then, he buries it in the ground, making grave.

I will write about this custom more on this blog in the future.

Saku said...

uh... ^^; I'm very scared of such insects!!
But when I was a child, I found a few pollywogs and raised them in a glass... They didn't live long, though... Because they need a river to swim in :/ I felt very bad.. ^^;
I also had a ladybug for a few days, but then I set it free ^^

marimari said...

To Saku

pollywogsおたまじゃくしを飼っていた(breed)んですね?
あと、てんとうむし(ladybug)を飼っていたんですね。^^