Saturday, February 9, 2013

Japanese lifestyle ~28~ Japanese teenager

  I had a chance to observe a English conversation class on Wednesday.
It was the class of private English school. The reason why I wanted to see
is class was because I am thinking of English teacher at cram school in the
near future.
  I saw three school children. Probably, The age was 14 years old.
I say children practice to read and pronounce the text book.
My first impression was that they were studying quietly.
But it looked so tied. I understood they were not eager to learn English
at the class.
  After the class, I talked with the English teacher. She explained that
school children were so tired because they came to the class after the
school club activity. (we say "Bukatsu") I guess they are in sports club.
During the age of adolescence, I guess it is difficult for adult to communicate
with teenagers.
  I have heard that Japanese teenager of nowadays are not curious about
anything. Some teachers say, it is because their lives are fulfilled too much.
And one of teacher says they do video games too much, and they communicate
by mobile phone(we say "keitai") so they are lack of communication skill
in "real world".
  So far, I still don't have chances to talk with teenagers. So I really don't know
what's happening.
 
  Well Japanese English education does not focus on improving conversation skill.
Children spend a lot of time for memorizing many idiomatic expressions for the test.
I think it is the one of the reason why Japanese people can't speak English at all.
Until I studied abroad in Canada at 20 years old, I did not notice that.
I found Japanese education system was nonsense!!
  But I heard that Japanese education system is changing little by little.
Now there is a conversation test at junior high school. It focus on the conversation
ability. And a city next to my hometown starts English class from elementary school.
I will register as English teaching supporter.


Thanks for reading!
Facebook page






5 comments:

Saku said...

Oh I hope you can help them improve their English!
I think English is very neccessary nowadays...

In Japan students really seem to have to study too much. But they can't do it, because it's too much for them, so they prefere playing video games. I totally understand this point.
I hope the school systems will change very soon, so students will have more fun with studying (>_<)/)

marimari said...

Yes,as I told you some times on this blog, there are not so many people who can speak English in my hometown. So, I am thinking that I become a English teacher in the near future. I think Japanese people should improve speaking skill more.

Japanese teenagers seem to be too busy.

Anonymous said...

In Russia, the teenagers do the same! How big is the load at school? Yes, it is a lot! But maybe, teenagers tend to be lazy in the world? (And not teenagers too!) ^_^

marimari said...

It's funny. Not teenagers tent to be lazy... All people are easy to become lazy. That't true.^^;
But if you want to make a success, you should not be lazy...

Unknown said...

Teenagers are scary

o_O