Sunday, February 24, 2013

Japanese lifestyle ~30~ Shinto

  I have read a book about Japanese Shinto, which is known as Japanese religion
recently. You may have heard the word, Shinto. When I was traveling in Germany
two years ago, I was asked by German about Shinto. To tell the truth, I could not
answer well...^ ^; I did not know about what Shinto is!!
But, after I read the book, I found my lack of knowledge about Shinto
is related to the essence of Shinto.
 
  The concept of this blog is to introduce Japanese culture that is now written on guide
book. When I write some columns, I always try to keep the concept. Today, my explanation
may be like guide book. ^ ^ ; But the explanation of the book was so nice.
I show the points and then I give some comments.

- Shinto is original religion of Japan. There was Shinto before Buddhism came from Korea
 (538).
- There is no the founder ← This is interesting!
- Shinto doesn't try to propagate its idea ← This is interesting!
- A nature worship is important
- polytheism  But God is not omniscient and omnipotent
- There is no doctrine or dogma.  ← This is interesting!
- Shinto doesn't demand you to do idol worship
- Shinto is generous toward other religion
- Shinto refrain from  expressing its ideology   ← This is interesting!
- Shinto believes in the after death
- People could become God under Shinto
- Human being is a part of nature. People is required to get harmony with nature
  Human being can not control the nature

  It is like university class...^ ^ ; Sorry. Let's forget the formalities.
As you see above, Shinto doesn't have any doctrines or dogmas.
Japanese people don't go to shrine every Sunday like Christian goes to church.
I have never heard of preach of Shinto. I don't know what the Shinto's
value or idea clearly. I learned that is is because Shinto itself refrain from
expressing its ideology to Japanese people.
  But on that book, Shinto focus on integrity, sincerity,and purity.
(There is an idea water purify the people. So if you go to shrine, you see
small river around the shrine. And you see on the photos)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?fbid=208437962625369&set=a.208434449292387.52587.188807921255040&type=3&theater
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?fbid=208438085958690&set=a.208434449292387.52587.188807921255040&type=3&theater

 As I showed above, Shinto is generous toward other religion. So, if you have
chance to visit Japan, you should pray at the shrine. You can pray for your
health or success on your business.
 Why isn't there doctrine?
 The book explains, in Japan, the race is same so Japanese people can understand
the essence of Shinto without explanation.
(But I could not understand the idea of Shinto until I read the book ^ ^ ;)
 But actually, after the tragedy of Fukushima(2011 3.11), a lot of people
would notice that we can't control the nature, and have to awe and respect the nature.
A lot of Japanese people may have the idea, it is important to worship nature
in deep mind unconsciously.

  I wrote, "People could become God under Shinto"
In Japanese, we say "Kami(神)" instead of God. That book says Kami is different
idea of God in Christian or other religion. In our daily life, we sometimes
say Kami toward a person who has prominent techniques. If the person was
stand aloof from the world, people may call him or her "Kami".





No comments: