Monday, February 18, 2013

Japanese traditional culture ~18~ Mashiko yaki

  A few days ago, I went to Kamamoto in Mashiko.
Mashiko is a name of the city, which is located in the north of Tochigi prefecture.
Tochigi prefecture is the north of Tokyo. It is about 2 hours by train from Tokyo.
Kamamoto is "a pottery".







  The history of Mashiko yaki goes back to edo period. It is about 150 years ago.
The misters of this Mashiko yaki use fur of dog to paint it.They glaze stone powder.

I bought this coffee cup for my souvenir. The shape is not well-proportioned.
But, it looks hand made cup.
I wanted to experience pottery. But they said, I need a booking to experience that.


These are Shichi fuku jin. (Seven God)
The stories of Shichi fuku jin came from China. It is said that they
give us many kinds of happiness. I sometimes see these figures
in daily life.

2 comments:

Tonykaku said...

when i was living in Yuki-shi, i rode my bicycle to Mashiko and saw a lot of pottery. ii omoide.

marimari said...

Yuki-shi is famous for textile manufacture, isn't it? I want to take a look and take some photos if I have chance.