Saturday, November 10, 2012

Japanese food ~13~ a souvenir, tochimochi

  Yesterday, I got a tochimochi. Someone went a trip to Hida takayama,
which is known as good spot for sightseeing.
Hida takayama is in Gifu prefecture. And you can see beautiful mountains
there. I leaned that the french famous book introduces here as nice place
for sight seeing.
  Anyway, tochimochi is like this.

tochi = a horse chestnut
mochi = rice cake
Mochi is made from rice. It is original food in Japan.
Tochimochi is sweet and tastes so nice.
mochi is sticky stuff like this.
  Japanese people usually buy a souvenir for his or her family and friends when
he or she went a trip. Do people often buy souvenir for your neighbor in your culture?
Japanese people may buy souvenir more often than the other culture's people.
Because as I told you before, Japan is "gift exchanging culture".
People expect someone to buy a souvenir when he or she goes to a trip.


Thanks for reading. Please give me any advices.

Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeeMyJapan

3 comments:

Delilah said...

It's also a good thing to bring back a souvenir from the place you visited, but it's not an obligation. Sometimes I buy something for my family, sometimes I don't, and it's difficult because for my mother, everything must have an utility, so I've stopped offering her little useless gifts ;-)

I like this, it's always pleasant to receive a little gift from someone, it means the other thought of you, it's a shame it's not as common as in Japan.

marimari said...

Oh yeah. Actually, Japanese people sometimes buy souvenir with the feeling of obligation.
We call it "giri".
I guess it is the individual comcept in our culture.
I want to write about giri on this blog some day.

Saku said...

When I'm on holiday or go to a special place, I nearly always bring souveniers for my family. ^_^
But I don't really "have" to do it. It's just because I want to say "thank you for everything" to them. :)