Thursday, November 15, 2012

Japanese traditional culture ~6~ shichi go san

  Today is the special day for children. It is called Shichi go san.(七五三)
shichi(七)= 7
go(五)=5
san(三)=3
 On 15th November, we celebrate the children who became 7 , 5 or 3 years old.
(A girl who became 3,or 7 years old. A boy who became 3 or 5 years old)
The children who became such age, go to shrine with his or her family.
And they pray for growing up well.  And they take a photo. Usually, people
would take a high quality photo at the photography studio.
People dress up like this.(from whikipedia)
 
 But nowadays, people celebrate before 15th November.
Probably, it is because 15th November is not holiday, and  because
they want to finish on the day when shrine is not crowded.
 There are not many chances for children to wear kimono.
Today is only chance.
 In my case, I used to celebrate when I was 5 years old.
 
 

5 comments:

Saku said...

This is a very great tradition again! I heard there was such a day, but I didn't know it was celebrated like this. I love the Kimono outfits~ ^_^

marimari said...

We don't have many chances to wear kimono.
I have wore kimono when I was 5
years old at this Shichigosan.
And the other chance is at the
wedding.(If you choose the
Japanese stylish wedding)

Saku said...

But aren't there some festivals where you can wear a kimono, too? Or is this a dying tradition to wear them on festivals? (>_<)

marimari said...

I sometimes see woman wear kimono and walk outside.(for example,
I saw old woman wearing kimono at station)
I think there are a lot of woman
who like kimono.
You need skill to wear kimono.
And it is so expensive.

But I don't see man wear kimono and
walk outside.The tradition may be
losting among Japanese man.

Saku said...

I see.. That's bad ^^;;