Saturday, November 24, 2012

Japanese habit/custom ~10~ Greeting on the street

  Do you exchange greetings with unknown people on the street in your culture?
I mean, do you say "hello" when you pass each other on the street?
In Japan, people usually don't do that. We don't have such custom.
But in my hometown, school children are trained to say "hello" to the
people in the community area.
  If your culture do that, you would find Japanese people don't do that
like your culture.
  I have heard that people in Holland are so friendly and people often do that
on the street. I like this custom. So I want to go to Holland once in the future.

  If you do that in Japan, people might see you strange people.
People who is said "hello" would think "Who is that? do I know him???".
He or she would be embarrassed so much. ^ ^ :

 It is kind of difficult to know the distance between people.
 I tell you the Japanese word.
too friendly = narenareshii
too unfriendly = yosoyososhii
 But Japanese people are distressed by the distance between people.



Thanks for reading!

Facebook page


 


 

4 comments:

Jan Erik said...

It's also uncommon in Germany to greet people you don't know on the street. At least in Karlsruhe (the city where I live in). But when I walk over the field or through the forest, it is more common to great each other. I don't know why. ^^

marimari said...

It is same in Japan. But usually older people would do that when they go hiking.
People become relax and opened
when they walk in the forest.

Saku said...

I guess it's the same for Munich as for Karlsruhe. :)
I also greet my neighbours who live in the same house, but that's all... haha

marimari said...

Oh, really?

People in Osaka are opened.
So, if I go to Osaka, someone talk to me more friendly than here.