Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Japanese food ~17~ taiyaki

I introduce the Japanese sweet on this column.
It is called "taiyaki"
"tai" means "a sea bream". "yaki" means "baked"
Here is a photo. I usually don't eat this taiyaki. But I bought this yesterday because I wanted to
introduce on this blog. ^ ^
  The taste is sesame. I have never had this sesame tasted taiyaki.Nomally,taiyaki is a fish-shaped pancake stuffed with "bean jam" called "anko".
I guess the sesame tasted taiyaki is new product.

  Traditionally, a sea bream is high rank fish. It is very precious fish.
If we celebrate something such as wedding in Japanese style, we eat
a sea bream.
 We say MEDETAI when people are happy.
People eat "TAI" because they are MEDE"TAI".
  There is a saying. It means like  "throw a sprat to catch a mackerel" in English.
(It means use a small investment as bait to gain a huge profit)
In Japanese, we say throw a shrimp to catch "a sea bream".

Gochisousamadeshita.
 
 

4 comments:

Saku said...

Oooh I love Taiyaki! I can buy them in a Japanese supermarket in Munich. (^ω^) Maybe they will get the sesame taste Taiyaki, too, one day.

marimari said...

Oh, have you eaten this before?
The Japanese supermarket is useful.

Delilah said...

I've never seen that, I'll try to find and taste it but here I only have an asian supermaket that sells korean, japanese, chinese food and so on, there are many things but as it's not specialized, I'm not sur I'll find.

The japanese sweet are not often...sweet, right? I mean, in France, every dessert, cookie, cupcake....are sweet, with sugar, or marmelade, or fruit or chocolate. As I can see in Japan it's made with rice, or bean, the taste may be "neutral", no?

marimari said...

I wrote about Senbei on this blog.
Usually, senbei is not sweet at all.Salty senbei is more common, I think.(but there is sugar taste senbei)

This taiyaki is sweet.
The anko(bean jam) is sweet.
I think there are many kinds of
Japanese sweets that taste sugary.
I would like to introduce on this blog in the future.^^