Saturday, March 9, 2013

Japaense lifestyle ~37~ hay fever かふんしょう(花粉症)

  Now, a lot of Japanese people are annoyed with hay fever.
I have a hay fever.
Hay fever is caused by cedar pollen.
I always sneeze. I always blow my nose hard.
My yeas are always filled with tears. おそろしい。It's awful.

  In Japan, we usually don't use a  handkerchief when we blow our
nose. Do you use a handkerchief? I have seen a people who uses
handkerchief in New Zealand. That scene was kind of culture shock
for me. Japanese people would use tissue.
  Or when you are in a bathroom, some men may use hands. ^ ^ ;
Women would not do that.

  By the way, have you heard hay fever in your country?
I guess, if you are living in a countries, where there is no wind that contains
pollen, you would not have annoy of hay fever.
  Is this disease peculiar to Japan? (T ^ T)
  In this season, when you see a weather forecast, they always tell the amount of
pollen in Japan.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, many people suffer from this - also here in Denamrk. It is a bit too cold still, but soon it will be over us, too.

The Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) has a good website about the weather and it has also a section on the Ultra-violet rays and pollen in the air:

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/dagens_pollental.htm

it measures the ammount of pollen from 7-8 different types of plants and gives also prognosis for the coming days. Useful, if somebody suffers from alergies.

As for handkerchiefs - they are almost never used now - they were used a lot in old days, but now are substituted by paper tissues.
They are still present, though, more as a fashion accessory in some suits.

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

I have not known European are also annoyed
of hay fever.
I blow nose so many time today as well...

Are there many types of plants that fly pollen in the air in Europe?

I think main plant is a cedar in Japan.

Unknown said...

About 5 or 6 plants have really big impact on alergic people. In Denmark, there are a lot of Betula (if I am not mistaken: カバノキ属 ) trees and when their season comes (very soon actually) people have troubles.
Lots of Elm trees, too.

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Oh, I see.
For me, betula looks beautiful.
But it is annoying tree for human...

I looked up about daruma you asked me
a few days ago. It is not clear.
Maybe if you failed the exam, people may
bring to temple or shrine to fire it.
I am thinking I call to temple and ask
about it.