Thursday, March 7, 2013

Japanese lifestyle ~35~ Japanese international education

This is the article of today's newspaper.

  This article tells about high school education in my hometown.
A teacher. Mr. Akashi has the class for high school student.
He used to be a vice-chief of United Nation.
In that class, students learn how to communicate in English.
And also students experience a  presentation in English.
 The news paper is telling about this project because this kind of
education is unusual in Japan. Maybe Japanese English education
is still developing. Hopefully I would like to do this kind of things
in class. But reality is not so easy... ^ ^ ;
  Maybe students are not so interested in learning English.
  International communication is not so easy. Each person sees
the other culture through his or her cultural idea. So sometimes
misunderstandings happen between cultures.
  But I like to think about how we can communicate well with
the other cultural people. I want to keep thinking about it.

Did you have this kind of class when you were in school???
I am going to teach English. So, I am so interested in English education
of abroad.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to school in Bulgaria and back then we started on our English study at 5th grade (kids, around 11 years old). There was only one English teacher in the whole town and she wasn't specially good (she was a nurse by education), but still we were grateful. She made it interesting for us, by bringing in class recordings with the most popular songs and then pulling out the lyrics, so we can translate them together.
This was soooo loooong time ago :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Do you think many people in Bulgaria can speak English?
If you like the teacher, she must be a nice person.
I see, songs,lyrics may make children interesting in English.
Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Most young people nowerdays can speak English, but the older generation cannot. It has something to do with the fact that Bulgaria was a communistic country up until about 20 years ago and then we were tightly connected to Russia - so many Bulgarians from the older generation speak Russian.
My generation is in the middle - so we studied both Russian and English :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

I see. You can speak many language, can't you? I just started to learn Chinese as
third language. But I am still beginner.

Saku said...

When I was in school we had about 8-10 English lessons every week. We did a lot of listening practise. (Listen to a tape and answer questions afterwards) And we had to read a lot aloud from our school books. And of course some tests for vocabulary and some for grammatics ^^;
I think English lessons in Japan really should improve.
I have a few Japanese friends who are happy to be able to write English mails with me and improve their English skills :) So I don't think they are not interested.

marimari said...

To Saku

Wow,there are so many classes.
What about an elementary school?
How old are your Japanese penpals?

Saku said...

Yeah it was very hard in school time.. haha.. But now I'm glad I had this many English lessons ;)
We learned English from 5th grade. But I think they started English from 3th grade now.
My penpals are at the age from 18 - 27 or so XD