Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My work(children's story)~4~ kamishibai ”A white cat”

Today, I introduce Kamishibai"紙芝居(かみしばい)".
Kami means "paper".
Shibai means "acting".
Do you remember my work "A white cat" ? That is posted on this blog a few weeks
ago.
My father made a Kamishibai of that story.
What is Kamishibai???
That is one of the way to tell a story for children in Japan.
Story teller tells a story by showing some drawings that is on some boards.

 My father is making this kind of stuff as volunteer work. He is doing just for fun
After he retired his job. (He used to get the first prize at a competition of Kamishibai
that is held in Osaka, Minoo every year!)
 There are 14 boards here. Story teller read the story loudly. He or she
changes the voice according to the characters. When the story teller comes to
the next scene, he or she change the board to next one. It is like a theater play by
one people.


This is the scene, The monk found a gold lump.


 It is like a story board of a film making.





 He dramatized and changed the story without my permission. ^ ^ ;
The setting  became Okiku was the white cat.
Okiku is flying to his temple like a superman.... ^ ^ ;
Probably, he is going to play Kamishibai at elementary school in the near future.
I don't know what happen there.

 I imaged the monk like above. The drawing will help you have the image.
But I didn't imagine Okiku flies like a super man!! Oh my God!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, I have been stuck on this single blog for days now - I really can make up my mind what I think about it :)

I like the story and when I first saw the drawings I was really surprised because I thought you hired a professional artist to do them -I think they are lovely!
(its not my job to judge, but I think your dad is really good in this)
What is a "turn off" for me is the fact that the drawings deviate from the story - specially the last 2 drawings just don't work for me.
BUT: again - this is a story for kids and I have a suspicion that they might like this turn of events?

So, I am really looking forward to hear how the reading goes and how your story is accepted by the young audience :)

marimari said...

To Shantal ForSD

Oh, maybe you praised too much.
But I will tell my father about
your comment. He will be glad for sure.

He dramatized the story so that the
story suits to Kamishibai.
The story teller needs to play within
15 minutes. Because if the story becomes
long, children would get bored.
He changed:
Okiku flied to the temple where the monk
was living. And the white cat disguised
itself as Okiku. So,you can see the cat's tail at the last drawing.
The monk believed that he could met
his daughter before he died. But the
truth was that Okiku was the white cat.

I don't know what will happen in front
of children. It is like a experiment.
I will tell you the result.