Friday, March 22, 2013

Japanese lifestyle ~41~the difference of way of thinking 考え方の違い(中国と日本)

  A few days ago, I had a discussion on the difference of way of thinking
between Chinese and Japanese. There is a Taiwan restaurant near my house.
Some Chinese people are working there. I am studying Chinese when I have time.
I talked with the owner who is working as server there. I had already talked with her
from time to time(I had eaten 3 times at the restaurant.).

  She asked me if the dishes are good or not.
I answered "good". (Actually, I thought the dishes were good.)
She said Chinese people often ask customers if the dishes are good.
I was upset little bit at that time.
  If Japanese people are in this case, I guess a lot of people would
answer "good!". Even they don't feel "not good", they may say
"It's OK". Because Japanese people don't like to criticize directly.
(Of course, some people would say "not good", but he or she would
need courage.)
  I heard that customers say so for the shop keepers. If the customers
don't tell that directly, the shop keepers would not be able to know
the responses of customers. It is not good for the development of the
restaurant. I can understand the benefit.
  But Japanese people hesitate to say "not good" because they are afraid
they get in trouble.

  I often see an evaluation form at restaurants nowadays. Maybe the shop
keepers consider the feelings of Japanese customers. Probably it is hard
for restaurant managers to know the real intention of Japanese customers.
If Japanese people see the customers criticizing "not good" openly at a restaurant,
a lot of people would see the customers negatively. I guess they would see the customers
just a bad claimer.

  So, I am thinking which way of thinking is majority in the world.
( ̄ー ̄?).....??アレ??

 Thanks for reading!
Facebook page




4 comments:

Saku said...

Oooh this is difficult! (>_<)
I totally understand both sides...
For myself, I always say "it was good", too... Because I also don't want to criticize anyone... haha
In some restaurants I found some flyers where you can write down what you think about the food, waiters, etc. Of course you don't put your name on it. This might be easier for people to tell their honest opinion.

marimari said...

To Saku

Maybe most of Japanese people think
in the way or yours. ( ̄∇ ̄;) ハッハッハッ

Saku said...

I tell you... Deep inside my heart I am a Japanese... Or I was in my former life... hahaha

marimari said...

To Saku.

I see. You were Japanese in your
former life...cool.