Saturday, October 20, 2012

Japanese expression ~ 2 ~ The expression of bark, and so on..

  In Japan, it is getting colder. In this morning, it is 18.4 degree.
I feel so cold.

  On this column, I will write about how Japanese people express the
sound of animal's ''Nakigoe''.
Nakigoe means
 Naki = bark(dog), meow(cat), croak(crow)...
 goe = voice
In Japanese, we have only one word to express dog's bark, cat's meow, crow's croak... and so on.
So it is difficult to translate.
Maybe you can guess what I want to write about.

   When I was kid, I used to think people all over the world express in the same way.
Because I used to think everybody must hear the same sound in the same way.
But it was not true. Each culture has each expression.
I remember I got so surprised to know that.

Dog  = Wan Wan !! (I have heard people say ''Bow wow'' in America.)
Cat  = Nya ~~ Nya ~~
Cow = Mo~~ Mo~~
Sheep = Me~~ Me~~~
Pig = Buuuu  Buuuu
Lion =  Gaooo
Frog = Kero Kero
Crow = Kaaaa
Mouse = Chuu Chuu
Horse = Hi Hiiin
Chicken = Kokekokko~!

  Chicken is kind of difficult. ^ ^
I think there are many expression in the world about chicken.
 
 By the way, how about an ambulance?
We say ''Pii Poo Pii Poo~~''
If I have chance, I want to know how people in the world express the Nakigoe.

Thanks for reading. Please give me any advices.
Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeeMyJapan


 

5 comments:

Delilah said...

Hello!
Here are the french "Nakigoe" :

Dog : ouaf ouaf
Cat : miaou
Cow : Meuh
Sheep bêêêê
Pig : well... hard to write it! maybe "groin groin"
Lion : I don't know either, there's no word! :)
Frog : croa croa
Crow : croak croak
Mouse : tit (not sure)
Horse : Hiiii (the same!!!)
Chicken : cocoricooo!

And the ambulance? Pin pon

It's funny to see how it can be different!

Saku said...

18°C? In Germany we have about 8°C in the morning... For us 18°C is like spring.. hahaha

German's "Nakigoe" are:

Dog : Wau Wau
Cat : Miau Miau
Cow : Muh Muh
Sheep: Mäh Mäh
Pig : Oink Oink
Lion : roaaar (? lol)
Frog : Quak Quak
Crow : Krah Krah
Mouse : Quiek Quiek
Horse : Wihaha (or something like this...)
Chicken : Gack Gack (not GackT!! lol)

Ambulance is difficult: Tatütata :D

Btw I still think like "We all should hear the same sounds, why is it so difficult??" haha

marimari said...

It's so funny.
I like the difference of
ambulance.

Henry said...

Hello! Your blog is really interesting! I have learned many useful things about Japanese culture. Thank you very much for writing it!

Here are the "nakigoe" from Finland!

Gog: Hau Hau
Cat: Miau
Cow: Ammuuu / Muu muu!
Sheep: Bäää / Mää
Pig: Röh röh
Crow: Kraak kraak
Mouse: piip piip
Horse: Iihahahaa
Chichken: Kot kot / rooster: Kukkokiekuu!

Ambulance: Pii-paa!

marimari said...

Thank you for leaving your comment.
It is very interesting to know
the difference between cultures.^^