Thursday, October 18, 2012

Japanese traditional culture ~3 ~ What is the bad manner of chopsticks?

   I write about table manner of Japanese culture.
I am writing this column from a viewer's opinion.
  Thank you very very much  for giving advice!

  You may have learned how to use chopsticks(we say ''hashi'' in Japanese)
But you may have not learned the bad manner of hashi.
So, on this column, I introduce the bad manner when you use hashi.
  I translate directly.

1 Mayoi bashi 
Mayoi = be at aloss
Bashi = hashi
It means, you are at a loss which dishes you are going to eat. You should not move around
over the dishes.


2  Yose bashi
 Yose = move to
 Bashi = hashi
 You should not move the dish by hashi.

3 Watashi bashi
 Watashi = lay across
 bashi = hashi
 You should not lay the hashi across rice ball.


4 I don't know the name of this manner

 At the funeral, we give foods for the dead person. I guess some of Buddist do this like this way.

5 I don't know the naime of this manner.
 Don't give foods to the other person by hashi.

 If you do that in front of Japanese people, they would be so shocked and embarrased so much.
This manner is absolutely bad. ^ ^ ;
 Buddist do this at the funeral. The celemony is called ''syuu kotsu''
syuu = pick up     kotsu = bone
After the body was cremated, people pick up the bone like above and put on the bone box.
If you do this, it reminds you the Syuu kotsu. So this is very bad manner in Japanese culture.
Maybe you have never heard of this manner.
But this is common rule in Japan. I think almost all people know this manner.
By the way, I don't know if the Japanese Christian follow this manner.  I am not Christian.
Maybe they would respect for this Japanese manner of chopsticks.



Thanks for reading.
I want to know what kind of Japanese culture you are interested in.
If you like, please let me know.
Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeeMyJapan
 

No comments: